Sunday, January 11, 2009

Irène Némirovsky 's Suite Francaise Discussion

Happy New Year! I hope all of you had a festive, lovely holiday. I know that I did! Not only did I enjoy my son Paul's homecoming from college, but I also savored reading our January book Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky. I hope all of you are also engrossed in this moving novel. Once you finish the book, please go on to read the appendices and all end material. This makes the book all the more poignant for the reader and will be helpful for our discussion.

I am looking forward to seeing all of you on Jan. 13, and discussing Suite Française. Take care, and as always, happy reading!

1.
The novelist, who herself fled Paris on the eve of the Nazi invasion, wrote the book virtually while the occupation was happening, most likely making Suite Française the first work of fiction about World War II. How do you think she managed to write while she herself was in jeopardy? Do you think it was easier for her to capture the day-to-day realities of life under occupation? In what ways might the book have been different if she had survived and been able to write Suite Française years after the war?

2.
How does Suite Française compare to other World War Two novels you have read? How would you compare it to the great personal documents of the war (for example, those written by Anne Frank and Victor Klemperer), or to fiction?

No comments: